Before No. 2 Florida squares off in The Swamp today at 3:30 p.m. against No. 7 South Carolina, six of GatorCountry.com’s staff members pulled together their prognostications for what could be this year’s critical game in the Southeastern Conference Eastern Division.
Many of today’s predictions center along the performance of Jeff Driskel and whether the Gators’ offense can finally get its passing game going against a stingy South Carolina defense. As with any game involving Steve Spurrier, many of GC’s staffers also offered their foresight on a popular prop bet — the throwing of the visor. Our staff also has some predictions on Jeff Dillman as well as the play of Matt Elam, Sharrif Floyd, Jaylen Watkins, Jordan Reed, Kyle Christy and others.
Now, on to our game-day predictions:
1) A Gators fan will propose to Samantha Steele. She’ll reply,”Hmm, I’ll have to Ponder that one.”
2) Jeff Driskel will throw for less than 100 yards and rush for more than 100, again.
3) Trey Burton will make a game-changing play when he throws a pass out of the read-options play.
4) Steve Spurrier will run no less than two trick plays.
5) A GC member will have too much to drink at Bubba’s “Best Dame Tailgate,” and miss the game entirely after passing out before kickoff. It’s later discovered that someone who desperately needed a ticket slipped them a Mickey.
1) Going out here with this one — one team will score at least 30 points … and that team will be Florida. Call me crazy, but I like the Gators to pile on the points on Saturday.
2) Jordan Reed will have a huge game — for real this time. I said this last week, but unfortunately Reed was hurt in the early going. This week, Reed will establish his presence early and often — health permitting.
3) Marcus Roberson will make an interception or two. I feel that Saturday will be a big day for the entire Florida defensive backfield, but it is Roberson who will have the biggest day amongst the DBs.
4) Lerentee McCray will have a huge day coming away with at least two sacks.
5) Andre Debose will make a game-changing play in some form — mark it down.
1) Jeff Driskel will break 100 yards passing. Seems fundamental, but that would be a step in the right direction for him at this point.
2) The Gators defense will hold Marcus Lattimore under 75 yards rushing.
3) The Head Ball Coach will throw one major tantrum involving a visor being thrown onto the field.
4) Jadeveon Clowney will record two sacks. What can I say, the man is a monster.
5) Gators win this one. Feeling confident in that.
1) Going for his third straight win over Florida, Steve Spurrier will not have a warm homecoming today in The Swamp. This game means too much for Gators fans.
2) Jeff Driskel will throw his first career pick-six, but once again his legs will make the difference in a close game. Should be an unorthodox quarterback battle with Connor Shaw.
3) USC running back Marcus Lattimore is going to be in by the Gamecocks’ second play. Spurrier loves playing injury mind games with his opponents before big matchups.
4) Jadeveon Clowney will be held without a sack. While he had two pass breakups and provided solid pressure on LSU’s Zach Mettenberger last week, Clowney was not able to get to him in the backfield. UF’s offensive line is banged up, but Driskel will be a much more elusive target than the stagnant Mettenberger.
5) Florida coach Will Muschamp will throw his head set on the ground in frustration before Spurrier flings his visor to the grass.
1) Mike Gillislee will score two rushing touchdowns.
2) At halftime, Steve Spurrier will tell Tracy Wolfson that he thinks Connor Shaw was held down by Romulans and had a brain worm dropped into his ear at some time in the late first quarter.
3) Jeff Driskel will make at least three big plays to spike momentum in Florida’s favor.
4) Matt Elam will receive a personal foul penalty for unnecessary roughness congratulating a teammate.
5) After four quarters are complete, the Gators will have scored three to five more points than the Gamecocks.
1) Desmond Howard will pick the Gamecocks to win. Without fail, Desmond Howard will pick against Florida.
2) Brent Pease will open the game with a pass, probably an iso-streak by Quinton Dunbar up the left sideline.
3) Marcus Lattimore won’t start the game for South Carolina, but will have at least double the amount of rushes than anyone on South Carolina.
4) The Gators special teams will be the difference maker in the game.
5) Florida will BEAT the 3.5 point spread and South Carolina and Florida will go UNDER the 41 point O/U.