Florida Gators basketball coach Mike White took part in the summer SEC teleconference on Monday where he discussed the offseason and more.
White discussed how his team is doing in offseason workouts, plus the latest with the injuries surrounding his team this year.
Gator Country brings you a quick notebook to recap White’s short time on the SEC teleconference.
- White says the three injured players Canyon Barry (shoulder), Devin Robinson (foot), and John Egbunu (thumb) have a long ways to go to being 100 percent.
- White did say that there’s a chance that Barry and Egbunu could participate in some limited workouts in late July.
- Florida’s non-conference is far from finished, according to White, as he says Mike Hill is trying to find open gyms for games. White called it a tough process to find open gyms with certain game times.
- White said that the unique opportunity of playing all of your non-conference games either on the road or at neutral site place that the team should get a big RPI boast.
- White called the experience a very challenging one that will provide interesting match-ups for his team.
- All of the freshmen began offseason workouts on Monday as Summer B started.
- White mentions that everyone including the coaching staff has gotten a little better this offseason because of knowing each other.
- One thing White mentioned was that the team must continue to improve in the offseason, as they’ve got to get better before the season starts.
- White mentioned Kasey Hill as the guy who has the best offseason on the team this spring and summer.
- If Florida had a game tomorrow, White says he would feel confident about the direction Kasey is heading in. That’s from a leadership and playing ability stadpoints.
- The biggest challenge for Hill heading into next season according to White is that he’s being counted on as the leader of the team. White called that a “challenge every day.”
- The last month of the season for Kasey Hill is something that White is excited about because of the momentum he took into the offseason. White says Hill used that momentum to put in the man hours this spring and summer.
Other news and notes
- When asked the three things Florida needs to improve on White said free throw percentages, three point percentages and free throw again. White says that free throw shooting cost them some games last year and they most improve.
- White says the team simply has to shoot the basketball better this year in order to win games.
- White said that he can’t tell you they’re going to be better record wise but he call tell you that they will be in a much better place from knowing one another.
- He says that the team knows what the staff wants them to do on and off the court.