Day three has come and gone. The staff will be hosting several prospects throughout the week at the camp. Before we head into this week’s visitor preview we want to get you caught up on what happened this weekend in Florida recruiting.
- Offensive lineman Jalen Merrick (6-5, 310, New Smyrna Beach, FL High) impressed everyone with his ability during the camp sessions and the word surrounding the lineman has Florida in good shape with a summer decision looming.
- Gators commit Tyler Jordan really showed his leadership abilities this weekend as the head recruiter for the class and he made an impression on guys like Merrick and Abdul Bello. Jordan is putting his name on the Nick Washington recruiter of the year trophy early on.
- Having Jordan take over the role of being the leader of this class is very important especially because he’s likely to be the center of the future for Florida and leadership skills is a must to play that position.
- Defensive tackle Kendrick Norton (6-2, 292, Jacksonville, FL Trinity Christian) decommitted from the Noles on Wednesday and he made the trip to Gainesville on Thursday while spending a lot of time with defensive line coach Brad Lawing. Norton also spent some time with Lawing on Saturday when he came back to camp in Gainesville. The feeling is that Norton is the Gators’ to lose as Florida wants him at defensive tackle — the position he wants to play.
- Getting quarterback Sheririon Jones to commit on Sunday was a very uplifting moment for the coaching staff because now they have their quarterback for the class. Anytime you get a quarterback he usually turns into a big recruiter and that’s exactly what Will Muschamp is hoping Jones will do when he travels to Beaverton, Oregon for the Elite 11 and The Opening.
- While there aren’t a lot of California kids for Jones to recruit this year the hope is that having Jones, a quarterback, in place will help recruit more offensive talent like George Campbell and Deon Cain.
Here are some of the prospects that the Florida coaching staff is expecting in this coming week:
- Linebacker Adonis Thomas (6-4, 217, Lawrenceville, GA Central Gwinnett)
- 2016 Offensive lineman EJ Price (6-6, 260, Lawrenceville, GA Central Gwinnett)
- Tight end Camrin Knight (6-4, 220, Tallahassee, FL Lincoln)
- Miami quarterback commit Dwayne Lawson (6-6, 215, Tampa, FL Hillsborough)
- 2016 athlete Kyle Davis (6-2, 224, Lawrenceville, GA Archer)
- 2016 cornerback Dylan Singleton (5-11, 175, Lawrenceville, GA Archer)
- Linebacker Roquan Smith (6-2, 205, Montezuma, GA Macon County)
- Linebacker Austin Smith (6-3, 220, Buford, GA High)
- 2016 defensive tackle Michail Carter (6-3, 310, Jackson, GA High)
- 2016 defensive Anwuan Jackson (6-2, 275, Ellenwood, GA Cedar Grove)
The list is ongoing. As always Gator Country will update it as the week goes on.
Having Adonis Thomas on campus for a few days is huge for Florida and gives the Gators the opportunity to strengthen their lead over Georgia and Auburn in his recruitment which will end on August 1st when he commits.
Here’s a funny tidbit you’ll enjoy:
2016 running back Tony Jones told Gator Country that he wants to go fishing with Brian White but that hopes White doesn’t have as good of luck as Jones’ grandfather does at hogging all the fish. Jones said the fish just love his granddad’s fishing line. When the two go fishing together, his grandfather just casts a line and the fish come running while he has trouble catching anything.
Be sure to hit our Insider Recruiting forums for more complete camp coverage and exclusive insider tidbits not seen anywhere else!