Publisher Profile

THE INSIDER AUTHORITY ON GATOR SPORTS

• Southeast wall at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

Perine is
a Florida Gator

Written by Andrew Spivey, May 29, 2015, 8 Comments,
Print Friendly

Commitment No. 13 is in. The Florida Gators landed a second prospect from the Mobile, Alabama area on Friday when running back Lamical Perine (5-11, 211, Theodore, AL High) committed to the Gators.

“I’m committing to Florida because they’re my dream school,” Perine said. “I called coach Skipper told him I was committing after he gave me the offer last night [Thursday].”

Perine who is a prospect that has seen his recruitment rise over the past several months picked up a Florida offer on Thursday night after speaking with running backs coach Tim Skipper.

Skipper and offensive line coach Mike Summers both led the charge in getting Perine’s commitment, as both coaches watched the Alabama prospect go through drills this spring.

Over the last few weeks Perine has picked up offers from Mississippi State and Kentucky, while also gaining interest from his dream school Florida — a school that he rode on a bus for more than 10 hours to visit last year.

As a junior Perine had 216 carriers for 1,416 yards and seven touchdowns, while also catching 13 passes for 255 yards and another two touchdowns.

“Perine is a prototypical SEC type running back who not only is a physical runner but also possesses break away speed,” Theodore offensive coordinator Matt Wells told GC.

Perine has good family genes, as his cousin Samaje Perine set the NCAA FBS record last fall with 427 yards rushing for Oklahoma. Perine is also related to former Alabama linebacker C.J. Mosley.

With Perine’s commitment the Gators now have two running back commits with JUCO running back Mark Thompson already in the fold.

Stay tuned to Gator Country as we will have much more from Perine on his commitment to the Gators.

Andrew Spivey

About Andrew Spivey

Andrew always knew he wanted to be involved with sports in some capacity. He began by coaching high school football for six years before deciding to pursue a career in journalism. While coaching, he was a part of two state semifinal teams in the state of Alabama. Given his past coaching experience, he figured covering recruiting would be a perfect fit. He began his career as an intern for Rivals.com, covering University of Florida football recruiting. After interning with Rivals for six months, he joined the Gator Country family as a recruiting analyst. Andrew enjoys spending his free time on the golf course and watching his beloved Atlanta Braves. Follow him on Twitter at @AndrewSpiveyGC.

1. swampcracker
    swampcrackerMay 29, 2015, 2:00 pm

Hey any kid that wants to come to Florida bad enough to endure a ten hour bus ride is all right in my book. His passion for being a Gator is worth an extra star. No 1 recruiting classes are nice but not the only way to get the job done. I believe this class will either end up top 10 or just outside of it, which is good enough to win. I’ll bet Zook and Muschamp average class recruit ranking was higher than SOS, But neither coach could match the success of SOS. Coach Mc deserves to have his shot and full support of Gator Nation. It has been a long 5 years since watching the Gators has been enjoyable for this life long fan. Looking ahead to the always tough schedule, lack of proven QB. the depth of the OL, and lack of production at wide receiver I don’t anticipate a huge jump in the victory total. Next I hope to see fun and enjoyment back to the games. After a complete year of competing on the field will anyone have any data truly access the coaches performance. Entertainment first year and victories second what true Gator wouldn’t be happy with that formula.

• landportMay 29, 2015, 6:16 pm

Apparently Perine can endure long bus rides and has ‘passion’. Nothing wrong with either of those. But can Perine play SEC caliber football. I have no idea. But I do know Coach McElwain is betting his job on the kids he recruits. Head coaches all over the country are doing the same thing. So, let us forget about Stars for a moment. An ‘offer’ or lack of an ‘offer suggests something. Well, La. Tech, South Alabama, Marshall, Middle Tennessee State and Troy among other made an ‘offer’. On the other hand, FSU, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Michigan State, Southern Cal and Vanderbilt did not make an ‘offer’. What does that mean? I do not know. But we will in time find out.

• Andrew Spivey
      Andrew SpiveyMay 30, 2015, 2:32 pm

Alabama was close to offering and Arkansas offered yesterday.

2. gatorcalMay 29, 2015, 2:53 pm

Why in the world would you use a picture of The Swamp filled with nothing but garnet and gold?

3. Speedgator84May 31, 2015, 12:27 am

I agree with Joe16…trolls, with sadly, nothing else to do than to come on a Gator board spewing negativity. Congrats Lamical on becoming a Gator! From experience, I admire your passion and humility…you made an awesome choice,

4. fettiboi247May 29, 2015, 1:31 pm

What’s up with all the negativity Skyflake ??? Im not the smartest man in the world but I do think the coaches know what they’re doing more than you or any other person that wants to come on here and bash recruits because of star ratings and criticize every darn decision the coaches make on the recruiting trail….me I don’t care about star ratings…Is the recruit one of the top players at his position or one of the top players in his state…that stuff matters….those are indicators that tell u the kid can play and look at how our 2016 class is taking shape…u see under rated players…..I see much needed depth and overall team strengthening….. That’s why Alabama, FSU and Ohio state are killing it on the field….because all three have depth at Offense ,Defense and Special teams……u need all that to compete for Championship !!!!!

5. landportMay 29, 2015, 2:07 pm

Skyflake, I understand your point and your concerns may be quite valid. I think that Coach Mac is dealing realistically with the situation he was given by the Foley-Muschamp debacle. I support Coach Mac and think he may be able to make it work BUT the Gators are no longer a top-trier program in the SEC or the nation. The Gator are generally viewed, along with Vandy and Kentucky, as one of the weakest programs in the SEC. Now, if that is too ‘negative’ for some members of Gator Nation. I am sorry but denying reality does not change that reality. Coach Mac is going after guys (usually 3-Star guys) who he think will come to Florida. This should stir up the beehive but, sadly, the Gators at present cannot consistently recruit against programs like LSU, FSU, Ohio State, Clemson, etc. There is a reason why the 4-and 5-Star guys go to the top programs. Right now, the Gators are not a top program thanks to Foley-Muschamp. That Gator Nation is reality. Hopefully, winning and a cure is on the way!

6. joe16May 30, 2015, 10:08 pm

Skyflake and Landport are FSU trolls. Every single one of their posts on GatorCountry are biased negative commentary about the Gators. Don’t waste your time with them…

http://www.gatorcountry.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Ben-Hill-Griffin-Wall-150x150.jpg Andrew Spivey FeatureRecruiting ,,,,,,
Print Friendly

Read previous post:
Florida Gators, McKethan Stadium, Gainesville, Florida, University of Florida, Harrison Bader
Florida Gators Baseball Prepared to Change Regionals Fate

The Florida Gators will kick off the 2015 NCAA Tournament against FAMU on Friday night.