While the Florida Gators kicked officially kicked off the 2013 season with media days on Thursday, the real start of fall camp took place on the Dizney Lacrosse Stadium field on Friday with the first practice.
The team was not in pads, but it marked the first time that the full roster of players – minus players who are out with injury and illness – were together, preparing for the season.
Will Muschamp met with the media briefly after practice to go over how the first day went and touch on some injury news moving forward.
- The team was scheduled to hold a split squad practice today but because of players being unavailable due to injury and illness, Florida held just one practice with the full team. Normally, Florida would hold several split squad practices, separating the younger players from the older players to get everyone more reps, but they were unable to do that today.
- Muschamp said that he saw “some good things” from Tyler Murphy today. Muschamp said that Murphy made some good checks in the run game and overall, did a nice job.
- Muschamp said that the absence of Jeff Driskel doesn’t alter the team’s plans at all. Right now the team is installing a system. The team will adjust things schematically after two scrimmages, and that is when it will be crucial to have Driskel in the fold.
- Muschamp said the opportunity to run with the first team is a huge chance for Murphy.
- Muschamp said Andre Debose is competing for a starting spot at receiver, kick returner and punt returner but that Marcus Roberson is leading at punt returner. Muschamp said he saw Debose make a nice play at receiver today and reiterated that he is in the mix for playing time on offense.
- Muschamp said that he sat down with oft-injured defensive back Jeremy Brown and was “all for it” when Brown said he would like to continue playing football.
- As far as the freshman, Muschamp said that he is looking for effort and conditioning from them early on. He knows that it is a lot to pick up for them but effort and conditioning are things they can control right now.
- Muschamp said that if the young guys are still “swimming mentally” by practice 12, then that’s when he knows they will have a hard time.
- Muschamp gave no new update on the status of Matt Jones. Just that Jones is dealing with a viral infection.
- Muschamp said he is sure that Jones will lose weight because of the injury and that it is a concern, but he is more concerned with just getting Jones healthy right now.
- Mack Brown is the No. 1 running back while Jones is sidelined.
- Muschamp said that this is a huge opportunity for Brown to earn reps and potentially even the starting job.
- After Brown, Muschamp said that Kelvin Taylor, Adam Lane, Mark Herndon, Hunter Joyer and Trey Burton would all get reps in the backfield.
- Muschamp said that the staff is very pleased with the production that Demarcus Robinson has showed them thus far physically. Muschamp still has some questions about how much he will be able to grasp mentally because he is new to the system.
- Muschamp said he would like to have the starting kicker figured out before August 31 and that accuracy will be the biggest factor into who wins the job.
- Muschamp said that the team worked on the rabbit package today but that they are still trying to find the right players to use in the package. The coaches have an idea of who those players are but that they will make sure to find the best four pass rushers for the package.
- Muschamp said he was very pleased with Florida’s pass rush from a year ago. He said that the pass rush that Florida was able to get really helped out the secondary in coverage.