Will Muschamp met with the media bright and early on Friday morning to discuss the Gators early practice.
The Gators took the field at 5:45 this morning in preparation for tomorrow’s first spring scrimmage.
Muschamp talked about several players stepping up, as well as one starter who was unable to practice on Friday.
Without further a due, here is today’s notebook from Will Muschamp’s press conference.
- The reason behind Friday’s early practice was so that the team could review the practice film before Saturday’s scrimmage.
- Offensive lineman Max Garcia missed Friday’s practice due to a back injury but Muschamp believes he will be able to participate in Saturday’s scrimmage.
- Friday the coaching staff will host the annual high school coaches clinic as well host the SEC officials for their annual clinic.
- The team struggled with offside penalties on defense and some alignment issues, but Florida will continue to have referees in practice to help with that. One thing is the receivers knowing where to line up on the ball or off the ball.
- Every meeting starts with Muschamp talking about the importance of winning the east and winning the state. Muschamp said he wants the team to know about the tradition of Florida.
- Muschamp said it’s fun to coach Antonio Morrison because he is a self-motivator and someone who is going to do his job every day. Muschamp says he understands the importance of working and he loves the game of football.
- Muschamp says that Morrison is a guy that pushes the envelope as far as being physical. In practice he sometimes has to tell Morrison to tone it down.
- Antonio Morrison and Mike Taylor are calling the defense with the safeties this spring but Morrison has to continue to work on his ability to call the plays.
- Morrison and Easley are two guys that Muschamp believes will be leaders on the defensive side of the ball this year.
- Jesseman Dunker is still suspended and Muschamp will wait on the legal process before doing anything.
- Darrin Kitchens and Daniel McMillian have both taken reps at the MIKE linebacker position with Alex Anzalone ‘s injury.
- Muschamp singled out Brian Poole as someone who he has been pleased with this spring and has had six good practices.
- While early enrollees Matt Rolin and Alex Anzalone are injured, they are still getting mental reps during film studies and on the practice field.
- Muschamp still isn’t pleased with the kickers and calls the position wide open.
- Muschamp wants to see something out of in the scrimmage from the linebackers, safeties, receivers and tight end.