As Florida’s revolving door at quarterback continues to spin, both Tyler Murphy and Skyler Mornhinweg met with the media to discuss the Gators’ most recent 19-14 loss at the hands of the South Carolina Gamecocks. Mornhinweg was 10-13 for 107 yards and one interception in his first career start and become just the second Florida quarterback to take his first career snap in his first career start (Jacoby Brissett on October 8, 2011).
On Murphy’s health
- Murphy isn’t 100% sure if his A/C joint injury is just a sprain, or if something is actually torn in there. He threw a bit last week but the throws weren’t pretty and had little to no velocity on them.
I’m still kind day-to-day,” Murphy said. “Just kind of going with the flow. Still getting treatment, stuff like that. I’m hoping to get back out there if not today then sometime for later on this week. You know, I’m still day-to-day, and I’m still trying to get as healthy as possible and get back out there.”
On when exactly Murphy was ruled out of the South Carolina game
- Murphy says it was either Thursday or Friday. As last week progressed the coaching staff had to make a decision though.
- Mornhinweg said Friday morning he learned he would be the starter. He thought he was ready after getting a lot of reps in the summer and some during the season as well. He immediately called his father and texted his mother when he learned he was starting.
On how Mornhinweg can get better
- Murphy says he just has to keep doing what he’s doing and worry about the things he can control. Murphy thought Mornhinweg did a good job with the passing plays he was given and handled the atmosphere well.
I’m confident in my abilities and I’m confident in the coaches’ gameplan,” Mornhinweg said. “So whatever they want to run out there we’ll execute it and I think we’ll have a shot to win.”
On Will Muschamp’s chalkboard punching incident
- Murphy says it shows some fire in Muschamp, the players are feeding off of that energy and they love the way he takes up for them with the media,
- Mornhinweg didn’t realize Muschamp punched the chalkboard, he wasn’t sure what happened when he saw him with bloody fingers later.