Franz Beard’s Basketball Confidential
DURHAM, NC --- On the eve of the annual Bob Gibbons Tournament of Champions, maybe the best run AAU basketball tournament anywhere in the country and certainly the most prestigious, there was an unexpected twist and turn in Florida's recruiting fortunes for the class of 2008. When Trey Thompkins committed to the Georgia Bulldogs Thursday morning, it was not only a surprise to the Gators, but to several other teams that thought they had a shot at the 6-9, 230-pound power forward from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Virginia.
Georgia was thought to be in the mix for Thompkins but so were the Gators, Wake Forest, Kentucky, Georgia Tech, North Carolina and UCLA. With the Gibbons Tournament played on the Carolina campus this weekend, no one would have been surprised if the Tar Heels had moved closer to the top although most experts thought Thompkins was Florida’s recruit to lose. Thompkins was on campus for Florida’s game with Ohio State back in December and again on Senior Day against Kentucky.
Not a member? Join the Insider Authority on Gator Sports today and stop missing out!
Get the Gator Country Magazine!
Read outstanding, feature length coverage of Gator athletics like no other in a beautiful, full color & glossy print magazine... MORE...
Check out our Photo Galleries!
View thousands of Gator Country's exclusive photos from all Florida Gators sports, including games, events, tournaments, practices and more... MORE...
2014 Football Commits
|Davidson (NC) Day|
|Cross City (Fla.) Dixie County|
|Jacksonville (Fla). Raines|
|Deland (Fla.) High|
|New Orleans (La.) St. Augustine|
|Miami (Fla.) Central|
|Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas|
2013 Basketball Commits
|Clermont (Fla.) Montverde Academy|
|Bonifay (Fla) Holmes County|
- Star Trek Into Darkness. (LeafUF @ 10:20 PM)
- MAN OF STEEL : Fate of your Planet (GatorPrincess8 @ 10:18 PM)
- JUST IN: Florida tennis denied three-peat (Solari @ 10:10 PM)
- Little Leaguer banned for being too good (wygator @ 10:05 PM)
- Star Trek Into Darkness(Spoilers) (GatorPrincess8 @ 10:04 PM)
- Top 20 "Freaks" in college football (Itssaul @ 10:02 PM)
- Ok, You've Got $400. Need New Desktop (KendrellJones @ 10:02 PM)
- Chuck Norris writes "The Ultimate Clutch Player" (medigator @ 10:00 PM)
- EJ Manual says Bills offense is easier than FSU's (GatorLaw @ 09:58 PM)
- Best Tebow Article EVER! By: Chuck Norris (Minister_of_Information @ 09:56 PM)