Photo Gallery: UF men’s hoops vs. Catholic
With the help of 20 three-pointers, the University of Florida men’s basketball team flew past Catholic University 114-57 in the lone exhibition game of the 2011-12 season Thursday night at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center. Florida has now claimed 21-consecutive exhibition games and has gone undefeated in preseason action in each of the last 10 years.
Junior Kenny Boynton hit 6-of-11 three pointers, was 7-of-12 from the field and totaled four rebounds and 10 assists to lead the Gators with 21 points. The performance secured Boynton’s success in the preseason, as he has recorded at least 21 points in each of his five career-exhibition games.
Freshman Bradley Beal made a name for himself in his first appearance donning the Orange and Blue with 20 points of his own off of eight shots from the field and going 4-for-7 from behind the arc. A pair of juniors in Mike Rosario and Erik Murphy combined for 35 points and seven three-pointers, while Patric Young and Erving Walker closed out the field of six Gators that posted double-digits on the board.
The Gators racked up 50 points off of turnovers alone throughout the 40-minute span, and recorded 31 assists on 40 baskets. From the floor, the Gators were 57.1 percent (40-70), limiting Catholic to 40.9 percent on 18-44 shooting in their appearance at the O’Connell Center.
Florida won the battle of the boards 36-31 against the Cardinals with Casey Prather and Young leading the way with seven rebounds apiece.
Head coach Billy Donovan saw a rare matchup Thursday evening as his Florida Gators went up against a team that featured his own son, Billy Donovan, at guard for the Cardinals. Donovan led his team with 13 points on 3-7 shooting in his return back home to Gainesville.
Get the Gator Country Magazine!
Read outstanding, feature length coverage of Gator athletics like no other in a beautiful, full color & glossy print magazine... MORE...
Check out our Photo Galleries!
View thousands of Gator Country's exclusive photos from all Florida Gators sports, including games, events, tournaments, practices and more... MORE...
2014 Football Commits
|Davidson (NC) Day|
|Cross City (Fla.) Dixie County|
|Jacksonville (Fla). Raines|
|Deland (Fla.) High|
|New Orleans (La.) St. Augustine|
|Miami (Fla.) Central|
|Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas|
2013 Basketball Commits
|Clermont (Fla.) Montverde Academy|
|Bonifay (Fla) Holmes County|
- Fast and furious 6 (ufhomerj31 @ 11:00 PM)
- 2013 Gator Class #27: DT Jarran Reed, East Mississippi Junior College, Scooba MS (Jaggator @ 10:39 PM)
- Star Trek Into Darkness. (GatorPrincess8 @ 10:34 PM)
- JUST IN: Jarran Reed fails to qualify (bigemorygator @ 10:27 PM)
- MAN OF STEEL : Fate of your Planet (GatorPrincess8 @ 10:26 PM)
- Words that aren't used enough.... (ursidman @ 10:14 PM)
- Stunner: Irish QB Everett Golson no longer enrolled in school (GatorPrincess8 @ 10:04 PM)
- Rumors circulating that Notre Dame starting QB Everett Golson out from program (GatorPrincess8 @ 10:00 PM)
- Black Softball Uni would be sweet for football (GatorPrincess8 @ 09:54 PM)
- Multiyear Scholarships (GatorInAtl @ 09:49 PM)